We often get so wrapped up in what is wrong and who is doing the wrong that we sometimes forget that most of our residents are doing it right. It is because of them that we have this great opportunity to work in residence life.
How do you say thank you to your residents? Here are a few ideas:
• Write a personal note on each resident’s door.
• Print out a favorite saying, quote or poem and personally sign it.
• Ask your supervisor to send letters home about how thankful you are to be the RA and all the great things that floor/areas did over the semester.
• Have an end of semester gathering with everyone sharing what they were thankful for in their hall; write all them down and print up together as a “semester-at-a-glance thank you to give to all your residents.
• Don’t wait until Staff Appreciation Day to say thanks to your fellow staff and your supervisor.
However you do it, be sure to say thanks to your residents for giving you the experience to be their residence life staff person.
Finally, take a moment to thank yourself for the courage to do something challenging, by putting yourself out there as a residence life staff member. My residence life heart thanks you for all you do.
Submitted by Jenn Thorpe, Director of Residence Life, Chestnut Hill College