The purpose of this program is to provide students with an experiential learning opportunity based on classism and world hunger that allows students not only to experience hunger but also to help others in need.
1. Students will be exposed to classism and world hunger facts
2. Students will have the opportunity to participate in a 24 hour service project to help people in state of crisis famine in Darfur, Sudan
1. Hold interest meeting for the 24 hour fast. Meeting includes a World Hunger facts quiz, information about the 24 hour fast, and information about the crisis in Sudan.
2. Provide sponsor sheet to list of participants. Participants collect pledges and cash for each hour of the fast.
3. THE FAST (Students fast for 24 hours and all money is donated to Mercy Corps relief project in Darfur, Sudan).
4. Breaking of the fast with a pasta dinner and debriefing.
Breaking the fast/Tying it all together:
Finish the program with a Pasta dinner for participants, at the end of the 24-hour fast. Process the program by reflecting on what each student learned about how it feels to be hungry. Also, discuss the differences between being hungry by choice and having to go through that everyday?
Submitted by Siné C. Callanan, Mentor Resident Assistant, University of Delaware